Today I wanted to discuss the most talked about skincare ingredient, and potentially the biggest trend of 2018 – retinol.
WHY introduce retinol into your skincare regime?
Retinol, otherwise referred to as Vitamin A, is commonly found in skincare products. Acknowledged for firming the complexion by boosting collagen, and therefore recommended as an anti-ageing solution, this miracle ingredient can also reduce imperfections, sun damage, scars, acne and more.
Who recommends it?
If you’re like me (and the rest of the nation), you’re going to have watched Cherry Healey discussing skincare truths on the BBC’s Truth About Looking Good.
To our surprise, a number of ‘claims’ within the beauty industry were proven (scientifically) to be inaccurate, however, one of the only products to make a physical difference to the complexion during the programme was retinol based.
WHAT percentage should i be using?
Behind the counter, the maximum strength retinol you’re going to find is 1%; beyond this, I believe it is down to a doctor to prescribe the individual a higher dosage. This is because retinol is very potent and when too high a dosage is used, it can negatively impact the skin – which is why so many people have been hesitant about applying this ingredient in the past.
As advised by Cherry, it is good to start with a 0.1% product – I personally like to combine the Super Facialist Retinol Serum (0.1%) with the Retinol Day and Night Creams (0.2%). This provides a more intense boost of retinol palmitate, without being too abrasive on the complexion.
Where can I purchase these products?
I’m going to be totally transparent with you guys and let you know that I actually manage the digital communications for the UK based beauty brand, Super Facialist. HOWEVER, I wouldn’t be recommending the products to you if I didn’t think they were effective.
In fact, for six week periods throughout the year, I will apply the serum and night cream together, every alternate evening.
Granted, I can’t see the minimising of wrinkles just yet (as they haven’t started to appear) but the hydration factor is great and my skin feels much healthier for it.
The range is available in the UK at selected Boots and Sainsbury’s stores, or can be purchased directly via the website (internationally): www.superfacialist.co.uk
When should i start using retinol based skincare?
There’s no ‘one size fits all’ answer, but the recommended age for products like this tends to start within the mid-late 30s.
Having said this, I’m 24 and using the products because I’ll do anything I possibly can to off-set wrinkles for as long as possible… and I’m sure many of you will too!